Sunday 15 March 2015

An Aspley Man's Account of the Battle of Neuve Chapelle

Aspley Guise Square [Z1306/3a/21/2]

Monday 15th March 1915: We have heard from Private Walter C. Crute of Aspley Guise who has just gone through the Battle of Neuve Chapelle with the 2nd Battalion: “Have been in it four days and have never seen such sights before. This seems something worse than war – dead lying about in hundreds. One of our fellows had his pack blown from his back. There were seven of us in a trench that we had made for ourselves. In front of this a shell burst; and if it had been a foot nearer we should all seven have been blown to bits”.

“They say we had 40,000 to fight against at that time and the Grenadier Guards under heavy fire had to advance, come what would. Their officers are brave fellows and no mistake(1). The old Bedfords are all the time in action and cannot get a rest. I don’t know whether I shall ever come back(2). My chum got wounded beside me. The shot came from a Maxim gun, it cut through his cap into his head and it broke my bayonet. If it had not caught my bayonet it would have hit me plump on the forehead. Still, I am walking about now unconcerned”.

“Last night I had to go with some more for rations for our platoon and it was four in the morning before I could find our trenches again; bullets and shells were flying about hot. I came across a Grenadier who was wounded in both legs and couldn’t move. I lay down in the trench and was then able to move him about so that his legs were easy. He did thank me and then he wanted me to stop with him. I would have done but my rifle and equipment were in our own trench so I dare not. We keep on capturing Germans. Our artillery are making a tremendous row”.

Source: Bedfordshire Times, 26th March 1915

(1) The commanding officer of 1st Battalion, Grenadier Guards, Lieutenant-Colonel Laurence Fisher-Rowe died of wounds on 12th March.
(2) Happily he seems to have done so.

No comments:

Post a Comment