Saturday 23 May 2015

Bedford Lieutenants in Hospital


Sunday 23rd May 1915: Writing home to Bedford from No. 4 general Hospital, Versailles, Lieutenant Small(1) says: “You will be very surprised at me writing from the above address. Fancy me being in hospital already”. About a week before, Lieutenant Small and Lieutenant Whittemore(2) had left Bedford Barracks after their recuperation from wounds received at the First Battle of Ypres, after which they were promoted from the ranks. He goes on: “But there is nothing to be alarmed at. I am suffering from gas poisoning. I reached the trenches on Sunday night, and we have been hard at it ever since up to the time I left (Wednesday, May 5th). On Wednesday morning they sent this gas over our trenches and we had a very bad time, but they did not break through the Bedfords, although they beat back the Regiment on our left (for a time only)”.

“Thank God I came safely out of it, and am now feeling quite well. Whittemore was in the same trench as me, but left in the afternoon, he being gased and unfortunately, with a bayonet thrust through his hand, but only slight. I am informed by a brother officer that he came down on the same hospital train as myself; that being so, he would be in this hospital. I shall try to find him as soon as I am up. I expect I shall soon be out again and back to the front, as they are so short of officers. It was very hard fighting. We lost one officer and 43 men killed, three died of gas, and God alone knows how many wounded. The captain was wounded through the shoulder – nice fellow(3). Now for a bit of cheery news. This is a magnificent hospital. I am told by the Sister that before the war it was considered the most gorgeous Hotel in the suburbs of Paris. We get splendid meals and what we want to drink within reason”(4).

Source: Bedfordshire Times 14th May 1915


(1) This may be E Small of George Street, Bedford who ended the war a captain and died on 28th April 1921

(2) Presumably the Lieutenant Frederick Whittemore killed at Arras on 29th March 1916

(3) Captain Gledstanes, see yesterday’s piece

(4) It was, presumably, a hospital for officers only.

No comments:

Post a Comment