Friday 22 May 2015

The Bedfords and Poisoned Gas

Arlesey Station [Z1306-2-14-1]

Saturday 22nd May 1915: Mrs. Bland of Railway Tavern, Arlesey has received the following letter from her son, Private G. H. Bland, 1st Battalion, Bedfordshire Regiment(1). His father is now serving with the 5th Battalion, currently stationed at Newmarket. The son, writing on 7th May said: “Dear Mother – just a few lines hoping you are all well, as it leaves me in a rather queer state, after the gas, which the brutes sent over to us on the 3rd and the 5th – the first we have had since the taking of Hill 60, which we are still holding, but we had to retire owing to gas(2). The Devons were forced to let them break through, but the good old Bedfords stopped them. We have had a rather hard time since Hill 60; only been out of the trenches three days, but we were relieved by the Irish Rifles on 7th, when we came back for a short rest. Our casualties are as great as Hill 60, but gas used in shells there had not half the effect of this which they pumped out of the bottom of their trench. I myselfam wearing a silver ring on my little finger which the gas cankered, but we gave them a horrible job to get that, which the Devons had to leave. Not a man could stand owing to the terrible stuff which streamed from their trench to ours, but the breeze changed and drove it back into their trench. Then our machine-guns got onto them, so they were forced to retire from their own trench. Then we laughed, you can bet”.

“We have named them “The Old Gas Bags” on Hill 60. They prayed for mercy but the boys all say “never no more”. Well I am sorry to say my old mate Harry Cox (Captain Gledstanes’ servant) who lived in Queen’s-street, Stotfold, was killed by one of our own shells that dropped short on the 5th during the recent battle(3). If possible, let Mrs. Cox know(4). I felt quite downhearted over it. I must draw my letter to a close but they tell me the 1st Rifles have regained the lost trenches on other side of Hill 60 (not losing the hill). Good-bye mother and all brothers and sisters. I omitted to say that Captain Gledstanes got wounded later in the day of Harry’s death(5). Good-bye mother. I will write more next time, Harry. P. S. I received letter and parcel. I hope you got my pc(6)”.

Source: Bedfordshire Times 14th May 1915


(1) 3/7450 Private George Henry Bland died with the 1st Battalion on 4th October 1917, he was just 20 and is buried at Hooge Crater Cemetery

(2) In fact the hill was lost on 6th May.

(3) He is commemorated on the Menin Gate Memorial

(4) Like many women, she soon remarried

(5) He died of wounds on 9th May and is buried in Bailleul Communal Cemetery

(6) Postcard.

No comments:

Post a Comment