Wednesday 11 February 2015

French Cigarettes


Thursday 11th February 1915: Writing to his foster-mother Mrs G. Mobbs, 43 Westbourne-road, Queen’s Park, Bedford, Driver D. Deane, East Anglian Royal Engineers, says: “I have been down with a bad cold and I do not wonder at it. People call this sunny France, but I have seen little sun; they must mean muddy France, as we are up to our shoe-tops in it. But for that and the snow I have enjoyed myself out here and I think the worst of the weather is nearly over. I have seen several of the Bedford boys out here but we don’t get much news, the papers being three or four days old when they arrive. We are working under heavy shell fire. I used to jump every time I heard a big gun go off, but I don’t take much notice of it now. If one is near when they fire the jar nearly lifts one off one’s feet. The only thing we crave for is an English cigarette; the French ones nearly choke us. We are hearing good news out here just now”.

Source: Bedfordshire Standard 5th February 1915

No comments:

Post a Comment