Wednesday 29 April 2015

Another Trench Poet


Thursday 29th April 1915: From Private S Jeffs comes the following written today “while back in billets for a little rest”.

Springtime is near, the winter is o’er,
And when shall I see the dearly loved shore,
Of beautiful England, the land of my birth,
The dearest of lands on the face of the earth?

When this great war is over I hope to return,
With all speed again to the land where friends yearn;
For I known they will welcome me with smiles on their face,
So God protect England, the loveliest old place.

And when I get back, if needed again,
I would fight for my King and Country the same,
As young fellows ought who have never yet known,
The price of their Country and King on the throne.

So young men of England, answer the call,
For your country now needs you, one and all,
And then at the end of this terrible woe,
You may say thank God I was among them to go.

God Save the King!

Source: Bedfordshire Times 30th April 1915

(1) 3/7196 Private S. Jeffs of the 2nd Battalion was killed in action at Festubert on 17th May and is buried at the Guards Cemetery, Windy Corner, Cuinchy.

No comments:

Post a Comment