Tuesday 30 June 2015

Lutonians in Germany

Wednesday 30th June 1915: Private Charles Odell of the Bedfordshire Regiment, a prisoner-of-war in Germany has written with the name of some of his comrades-in-arms with him in Germany, writing of a parcel of comforts sent by Mrs. A. B. Attwood he says: “We have three Sergeants here, and the parcel will be divided among us. We have had one big parcel from the Church Army, London and one from the “Keep Smiling Society”, London”.

“These are the names of the Luton boys with me: Lance Corporal W. Doffield, 9071, Royal Scots Fusiliers; Private E. H. Dobbs, 7821, Scots Guards; Private T. H. Hines, 8060, Duke of Wellington’s Regiment; Private L. W. Rogers, 1346, 6th Battalion, Royal Fusiliers; Sergeant J. Boswell, 7696, 1st Battalion, Cheshire Regiment; Private James Clarke, B Company, 2nd Battalion, Manchester Regiment; Private F. Mortimer, 8064, Royal Scots Fusiliers; Private T. Fisher, 9251, Royal Scots Fusiliers; Private A. Gregory, 10546, 2nd Battalion, Worcestershire Regiment; J. Finlinson, 8143, Loyal North Lancashire Regiment; Private G. S. Moon, 8662, 1st Battalion, Scots Guards. These are all, but if you want the rest I will send them in my next letter”.

“I have also had a letter from Luton asking if I know Archer Godfrey. I am very pleased to say I do. I am only too pleased to let them know all I can and if there is anyone in Luton that you know who has relatives missing from the 2nd Bedfordshire Regiment, I would be very glad to tell them if I know anything about them, for we have two or three other lists here of missing men and N.C.O’s”.

A little while ago the employees of Messrs Tom Wheeler and Company, Williamson Street(1), Luton sent Private Odell some parcels. To the rest they devoted the profit made on the sale of chocolate in the factory.

Source: Luton News 8th July 1915


(1) Straw hat manufacturers at 17 and 19 Williamson Street. 

No comments:

Post a Comment