Wednesday 5 August 2015

More Trench Poetry



Thursday 5th August: We have received the following poem from a Bedfordshire Regiment soldier at the front who wishes to remain anonymous. He says: When the tumult and the shouting dies we get a leisure hour and the circumstance is bad verse. But if you have spare space and think it worth while “faites ce que vous voulez” I hope you don’t mind, but having read and re-read your last issue, which is in my dug-out here, I have smeared it with a little ration honey and hung it up. Whether it is the good reading or the honey I don’t know but, my word, the flies!”

A Summer Holiday for 1915

When Summer blends to Autumn,
And the corn is turning brown,
My year of work is past and gone,
I lose life’s care and frown
For me a month to wander
I holiday at ease,
Just here or there or yonder,
Homeland or overseas

I loved my month by mountain stream,
I’ve tanned my face on the sea,
I’ve seen the cities of Europe,
I’ve rested and felt myself free,
But this year I am having a change,
And I trust it is not ill spent,
In a little mud hut just four feet high,
Lent by the Government

My outlook isn’t hill or dale,
It’s simply a sand-bagged trench;
When wet it is full of mud that sticks,
When dry there’s a deuce of a stench.
And one hundred yards or so in front,
A Strafing foe lies hid
And to show yourself in the open
Is from Hell to raise the lid.

But inside the trench we’re a merry crew,
For the right tight comrades are we;
We grouse and quip, we laugh and chip,
A jolly fine company.
We all our doing our sundry bits
In a cause that is right and just,
And we care not a hang for Karl and Fritz
Or the whiz-bangs as they bust.

We come from the corners of the Earth,
From the cities and countryside;
From Colonies across the sea,
From the Empire far and wide.
Both rich and poor have sent their sons,
Links of a wonderful chain.
Hanging together against all foes,
Till a lasting Peace shall reign.

And though Death comes to some each day,
What better end can there be?
For a man who knows he is fighting
In the cause of Liberty.
And I like to think in the Courts above,
There’s a special Hall kept today
For the bonnie lads who don’t return
From their chosen Holiday

Source: Bedfordshire Times 6th August 1915

No comments:

Post a Comment