Saturday 24th October 1914: Our contact with the 1st Bedfords tells us that they are very much on the alert: ”Heard all sorts of rumours and got the Second Army order, telling us hold on at all costs, as there is nothing behind us and that relief is sure to come in the next two days”.
Given what we have heard from both our battalions in the field we wonder if the Germans are preparing for a full scale attack around
Perhaps to meet such an eventuality troops are being moved north, temporarily
denuding the defences in the Festubert area. If this is correct the next week
or two might be distinctly difficult for our boys at the Front.