Thursday 20 August 2015

I am Hanged if I Want to Go Through Any More Like That



Friday 20th August: We have heard from Private E J Albon of Stotfold, 1st/5th Bedfords. “No doubt you will hear of us being in action on Sunday [15th], but don’t worry about me at all. Remember my initials are E. J. and Number 2815, so if you read anything don’t make any mistake. Our action proved a great success, but I am hanged if I want to go through any more like that … but all I can say is that I am not worrying at all until it is necessary. I will write more news when I get a fair rest, as I am not out of the trenches properly yet. I didn’t like to tell you at all on account of mother, but I guess I am made to come to England and die properly, as I have been grazed on the right arm and ribs and hit through the back of my coat with three different bullets”(1)

Source: Bedfordshire Times 10 September 1915


(1) He does, indeed, seem to have survived the war.

No comments:

Post a Comment