Saturday 28 May 2016

Percy the Prisoner from Potton


Sunday 28th May 1916: Writing home from Munster Camp, Germany, to his parents at Potton, Private Percy Richardson, a Bedfordshire Regiment man who is now a prisoner-of-war says: “Just a line to let you know I received parcel and cannot thank you enough for what you are doing for me since I have been a prisoner of war(1) but what I can’t do here I can do when I get home. I shall be more thought of when I get home than I was before. I am pleased to tell you my chum is taking over the organ as the other one is going to Switzerland"(2)

Source: Biggleswade Chronicle 9th June 1916


(1) The Biggleswade Chronicle sent comfort parcels to local men who were prisoners of war, bought with subscriptions from readers
(2) Possibly he was ill and being exchanged fro German prisoners, something which happened sporadically

No comments:

Post a Comment