Thursday 11 June 2015

A Message from General Joffre

General Joseph Joffre

Friday 11th June 1915: Readers may remember that the Commander-in-Chief of the French armies, General Joseph Joffre, inspected the 2nd Battalion, Bedfordshire Regiment, along with other units of 7th Division, on 27th May. Today 1st Army commander, Sir Douglas Haig conveyed the following message from General Joffre, referring to that inspection, to commander-in-chief of the British Expeditionary Force, Sir John French: “The splendid bearing of the British Troops, who marched past me in the course of my recent visit reflects the greatest credit on officers, N. C. O’s and all ranks. I thank you for having afforded me the greatest pleasure of saluting your fine Regiments and I request you to be so good as to convey to them my admiration of their soldierly appearance”.

Source: X550/3/wd

No comments:

Post a Comment