Sunday 7 June 2015

Two Doses of Gas



Monday 7th June 1915: We have heard from Corporal George Marston of 1st Battalion, Bedfordshire Regiment: “I should like to see someone from the old village. It is grand to know that Old Warden held second place for men in the Army in Bedfordshire, for so small a population. I think there are a few more who want waking up in the country. If they knew the hardships we have had to put up with  through the winter, they would not hesitate one minute to come and help us crush our enemy. We want more men and munitions; then we could push the Germans out of Belgium. This is a proof what shells will do – only yesterday morning our artillery bombarded the German position and the Germans ran out of their trenches. We captured three lines of trenches quite easily. When we get plenty of munitions we could bombard the whole line and rush them out; we should not lose half so many men, the cavalry could keep them on the move”.

“Well we are having it a bit quiet today, a few shells flying about but not so many as when the Germans were nine to one. I remember in November, one afternoon, about three o’clock, the enemy bombarded our position at the same place, so that we had to retire. We went back about a quarter of a mile and then we got the order to fix bayonets, about turn and charge. It was a grand charge. We had them back in about twenty minutes, but I am sorry to say that we lost a lot of men, but I think the Germans lost more. I cannot explain how it feels to be in a charge, but one nearly goes mad. I had two mates killed, one each side of me. I thought it was my turn next, but I came through without a scratch”.

“The latest concern the enemy have got is their beastly gas. I have had two doses, I can feel it on my chest now. They pumped it over us one day, and they attempted to take the trench, but out boys stood it well, and we only lost a bit of a trench, which we can regain at any time. I don’t think they will get to Calais now; we are a bit too good for them now. I think we shall soon make them throw their arms up in the air and say “Gott Strafe England”(1). Well, the first German I see in England, when this war is over, I will punch on the nose”.

Source: Bedfordshire Standard 2nd July 1915

(1) "God Punish England" a "song of hate" written by German poet Ernst Lissauer

No comments:

Post a Comment