Saturday, 27 December 2014

3rd Bedfords' Christmas

Ampthill Park Camp [Z1306/1/34/2]

Sunday 27th December 1914: Christmas with the 3rd Bedfords was a memorable occasion. After breakfast every man received a present from Lady Ampthill(1) suitably inscribed. The diet for the day was on a liberal Christmas scale and after tea the Duke of Bedford's new recreation hut was opened(2). The hut has been built to replace the Duke's recreation tents. It is 115 feet long and 35 feet wide; corrugated iron outside, match-boarding inside and fitted up with every regard for comfort. At the bar refreshments can be purchased from 6.30am to 8.30pm. In connexion with the Post Office there is a Savings Bank, with five per cent interest on all money deposited for over a month. Since the end of November, when the bank was started, £160 has been deposited. The opening ceremony was conducted by Lord Ampthill and an excellent concert followed.

Source: Bedfordshire Times 8th January 1915

(1) The commanding officer's wife
(2) The duke was Lord Ampthill's cousin.

No comments:

Post a Comment